automation engineer with a focus on security, infrastructure and cloud platforms
- I'm James.
- I'm a tech and photo nerd and I love putting things together to make cool stuff. Almost as much as I like taking them apart.
- I'm a Massachusetts native, a graduate of The University of Massachusetts Amherst and a D.C. transplant.
- I love my Red Sox, but also have a place in my heart for the Nats.
Designing, implementing and securing public & private cloud/IaaS platforms, including: AWS, OpenStack, and VMware
Hardware and virtualized provisioning & capacity planning
Configuration management, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
Information and Operational Security, Risk management, Business continuity planning and incident response
Skills & technologies
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud Platform
- Digital Ocean
- AWS ECS
Education & jobs
Team Lead, Security Automation Engineering Blackboard, Washington, D.C.
- Lead a team of automation engineers to identify platform vulnerabilities, help design and engineer security solutions.
- Identify and remediate gaps in various compliance frameworks, including FedRAMP, FISMA, and ISO 27001.
- Research, design, develop, document and implement solutions for fault tolerance, performance, capacity, and configuration management for various data center operations.
- Design, develop and implement documentation or tools to facilitate Technical Support team responsibilities.
- Identify and drive opportunities to improve automation for deployment, management, and tooling, using Python, Ruby and Groovy, among other languages.
- Support and improve a highly available and fault tolerant SaaS offering.
- Implemented ephemeral, long-lived and immutable infrastructure as code, using AWS CloudFormation and internally-built solutions
- Maintained infrastructure resources in an auditable and repeatable fashion using configuration management platforms and version control systems
- Was responsible for designing and implementing robust network and security architectures
- Helped to maintain a strong information security posture for data in transit and data at rest
- Provided expertise to software developers on AWS foundational services, such as EC2 (incl. EBS, ASG, ELB), VPC/Direct Connect, Route53, S3, IAM/KMS, RDS, SNS, SQS, SES, and CloudWatch
- Contributed to internal software projects, centered around the orchestration of infrastructure resources and the continuous deployment of containerized applications to test and production environments
- Managed physical and cloud-based infrastructure for the print, mobile, and web properties of Washington Post Media
- Supported content management systems and applications utilizing Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, and dynamic Java applications deployed on Glassfish or WebLogic application servers.
- Maintained Unix production, stage, and test environments, utilizing RedHat 5/6/7, CentOS 5/6/7, Solaris 9 & 10, AIX 5.3, HP-UX and Mac OS X Server
- Performed code deployments for development teams
- Carried out system maintenance and upgrades as needed, including backups and restorations
- Participated in 24x7 on-call rotation
- Assisted with a major datacenter relocation
- Developed and maintained Windows and Mac desktop images, software deployments, and application patching while also identifying and resolving desktop security issues.
- Provided technical expertise to assist with implementation of desktop technologies: Windows and Mac desktops and laptops and their operating systems, desktop applications, management systems, and tools
- Created and supported desktop management related technical policies and procedures; helped to create and maintain related documentation.
- Administered and assisted in deploying LANDesk environments and Symantec Endpoint Protection for a client base of 3000+ machines.
- Deployed regularly scheduled and out of band security/OS patches and updates via LANDesk and other mechanisms.
- Co-developed an asset management system to track physical assets via barcode scanning devices.
- Actively monitored an extensive production environment for washingtonpost.com and other high-traffic Post properties
- Acted as a liaison between coworkers and the development and infrastructure technology teams
- Provisioned, integrated, diagnosed, and maintained PC and Macintosh clients in an Active Directory environment
Hobbies & Interests